Organizer: Paul Bottomley (Event Director)
This will be Barebones style event, meaning the approach will be casual in order to minimize the amount of volunteer capacity required, while still providing an enjoyable event for orienteers.
This will be a Score-O event with a Mass Start and Advanced, Intermediate and Beginner classes.
For all competitors:
A series of control points will be scattered across a map. Each control point on the map will have a value of at least 10 points.
Participants will be given their maps immediately on registration so as to have time to review the map before the Mass Start at 11:00 am.
There will be a time limit of two hours, and all competitors will begin the course at the posted start time. Late starts lose time on course.
All controls will be open to all intermediate and advanced competitors.
The beginner map will be limited in that only a smaller series of controls will be presented.
For Intermediate and Advanced:
For these competitors, the points shown on the maps for controls will vary with difficulty from 10 - 30.
The goal is to find as many controls as possible, within the time limit.
Most points in the fastest time wins.
Participants who return after the deadline will incur a penalty of 5 points per complete minute over time.
The terrain in Shubie is varied wooded and gravel paths.
Distances given below are an estimate only and will vary due to the nature of the event.
Beginner participants will typically follow marked and easy to follow trails to controls on trail for the easiest navigation and shortest distance to cover. Basic map following required. The beginner map will be limited in that a short series of controls will be show. These may be completed in any order. All controls will be on trails. 2km.
Intermediate participants, will exercise route choice along trails while also using map features and basic compass skills to, typically, find controls located on or just off trails with typically clear features nearby that ease navigation. 3km.
Advanced participants will tackle the entire map on trail and off, following longer route choices through more difficult terrain, streams forests ravines and all; good navigation skills required. 6km.
A beginner’s clinic may be offered. Let us know via an email before the event if you are interested, and we can provide some form of instruction, if not a formal clinic. Please check-in at 10am if you require instruction.
- Prior to participating in their first event, all participants must have completed the Orienteering NS registration form and the Orienteering Canada waiver provided at the following link. Once completed for your first event, you are done for the year.
- Once membership and waiver are completed, register for courses by selecting the appropriate course button on this page.
- Please ensure you register via these links by midnight Friday, Jun 16, 2023 to ensure a map is printed for you.
- On-site check-in will take place from 10:00 to 10:45 am. Again, please ensure you have completed membership/waiver in advance (see above).
- Check in at the registration table by 10:45 at the latest on event day to take care of payment if necessary and to let us know you’ve arrived.
- Last minute registration: This can be done on site, but we typically only have a few extra maps because we didn’t know you were coming... Also, pre-registration allows the on-site details to move more quickly.
VOLUNTEERS would be appreciated for a few tasks associated with the event (e.g. Beginner clinic, registration, control pickup). Please see here to sign up.
Snacks: A small post race treat will be available, but participants should bring their own water if needed.
Parking will be at the Fairbanks Center, or on the adjacent streets.
There is a washroom facility just across the parking entrance from the Fairbanks Center.
10:00 Registration Opens
10:15 Beginner Clinic (if required)
10:45 Safety Brief
11:00 am (Mass Start); course closure will be 1:00 pm.
Start will be nearby the registration table.
The following are the fees for this event (pre-registered), add $5 for day-of registrations:
How to Pay:
In advance (preferred):
By Electronic funds transfer to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In person: A payment container will be available. Please bring correct change.
To Paul at email@example.com
Where can I get some of that cool Orienteering Kit before the event? Visit the O-Store!
Event is in Shubie Park in Dartmouth NS just across the harbour from Halifax.
Registration and Start Finish will be at the pinned location shown in the map below.